Characteristics of Bullies
An abusive person will usually exhibit many of the following characteristics:
- Has feelings of low self worth, even though he/she acts like he/she is better than everyone
- Is unable to express anger or hurt feelings in a constructive way
- Often blames others for his/her problems or actions
- Is controlling of others
- Insists that his way, or her opinion, is the right one
- Is often jealous of others and overly competitive
- Comes from a family in which there is name-calling, put downs, or controlling behaviors
- Appears to have a dual personality (very nice sometimes, very mean other times)
- “Jokes around” in a hurtful way
- Excludes other people
- Expects you not to hang out with people that they don’t like
- Rushes into relationships. You are best friends, or become boyfriend/girlfriend, right away.
- Has unrealistic expectations or demands. You have to look/be a certain way in order to be with him. You have to do things the way she wants them. Has a “my way or the highway” attitude.